[CQ-Contest] ZW5B (op K5ZD) CQWW CW 28 MHz Story (longer than long)

David Mueller n2nl at netpci.com
Fri Dec 11 07:37:29 EST 1998

This stuff is a REAL problem out here.  The entire CW portion of 10m
is constantly filled with garbage from southeast asia, its just
something I've had to learn to deal with operating from KH2.
   On another note, 40m is worse.  Most of the CW portion of the band
is filled with Indonesian SSBers (logging operations I've been told).
Anyway it makes things VERY difficult when trying to pull out a
callsign.  When you hear a loud KH2, or T88, ETC, on 40m CW and he's
having trouble with your call, before calling him an idiot think about
the 20 over S9 ssb QRM we have to deal with on a nightly basis.
   2 tips:
For USA M/M ops.....DONT CQ in the bottom 3 KHz or so of
the band (40m) when trying to work asia.  Thats the worst place I've
found for the SSB QRM (guys working USB on 7000KHz).  7005-7007 seems
to be the best places in my limited experience for you to be.

For those thinking of operating from this part of the world.  Consider
a short beverage antenna for 40m.  I have a short (250ft) long
beverage pointed due north which works GREAT for me on 40m.  It nulls
out the SSB garbage to my south and I can copy JA/USA/ EU great with
it.  I used this beverage on RX exclusively my entire time on 40m in
the CQWWCW which helped me work nearly 600 NA/EU through the crap.

Hope this info helps,
73, Dave KH2/N2NL
n2nl at netpci.com

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com