[CQ-Contest] QSLing

Ric ricp at pop.ma.ultranet.com
Tue Feb 17 15:52:44 EST 1998

Hi Folks,

While I read the posts here, I seldom post, although I often send
directs where I can help folks with info. But I thought I'd put in my 2
cents worth on the QSLing issue.

First, I love to read Fred's posts. Fred, you have a wonderful way of
addressing the issues and putting things in clear concise form !! Tnx.

I have been in this hobby since 1960, in varying levels of activity. At
present, a group of us ( usually 4 ) put the station on for 4 to 6
contest a year and I do some casual DXing, usually only QSLing thos DX
stations with US managers. Nothing to do with cost, just success rate. I
have had low levels of success with DX direct, even with IRC's and green
stamps.

I usually print my own cards wwith an ink jet. Yes, a bit time
consuming, but I like to customize for the contest withthe calls of the
ops etc. even Photos and of course YCCC logo for contests ( had to say
that ). Buro seems to be about 1200 per year. Q's are only moderate at
around 2000 per major contest.

Yes, sometimes it is a burden, printing the labels, packaging to go off
to ARRL, etc.

But the bottom line for me is: If someone cares enough to want a QSL
from this station, THEY WILL GET IT. I return like for like, buro,
direct, Domestic or Foreign. I haven't found the postage burden
significant for those FEW who don't send it along. For the few I send, I
always include SASE or SAE and appropriate postage. It comes down to:
How I choose to interact with a fellow human being who has asked for
something.

Enough said !! Maybe this view is useful, if not hit delete.

73 es see you all in the contests.

Ric KV1W

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com