[CQ-Contest] QSLing

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Wed Feb 18 12:25:55 EST 1998

At 03:52 PM 2/17/98 +0000, Ric wrote:
>Yes, sometimes it is a burden, printing the labels, packaging to go off
>to ARRL, etc.
>
>But the bottom line for me is: If someone cares enough to want a QSL
>from this station, THEY WILL GET IT. I return like for like, buro,
>direct, Domestic or Foreign. I haven't found the postage burden
>significant for those FEW who don't send it along.

I agree with both Fred and Ric - my domestic QSLing burden is < 1 percent
of QSOs made, despite high activity in SSCW, in particular - and almost all
send SASE's.

But responding to DX bureau QSLs was a problem, and threatening to become
more so, chiefly because of the time spent printing and sticking labels and
checking against the database, plus the cost of cards.

So I decided to try something new.  I had a local printer make up 2000
8x11" sheets of 4 QSLs apiece - cost $120.  Then, I used DX4WIN's custom
label definition  to print the data for each QSO directly on the "cards."
The program gives you the option to print a QSL for everybody who you've
never QSLed before on a given band or mode, which I did.  In a relatively
few minutes, I printed 4,168 QSLs (everyone since 1/1/96).  Back to the
printshop to cut the QSLS -- they were kind enough to keep the 4 piles in
the original order, so all I had to do was to stack them in a box and send
them off to the outgoing bureau.  I guess I don't think that the added
burden on the outgoing bureau is significant.

The bottom line .... QSL cost 1.5 cents per card, plus the bureau fee.  No
label cost.  Time minimal.  Conscience clear!

If anyone wants the specifics of the DX4WIN routine, please e-mail me direct.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr at contesting.com

"That's WEST Virginia.  Thanks and 73"

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com