[CQ-Contest] Yaesu rotor indicator box repairs
k1ttt at berkshire.net
Sat Feb 21 18:33:54 EST 1998
For those of you who remember the story of the bad motors in the
Yaesu rotor indicators the following is the process to replace
it. This also shows how far to disassemble to replace the dial
light for those who had asked me about that.
G2800SDX indicator drive motor replacement procedure.
1. Remove 2 screws on top sides of case
2. Remove 4 screws in rubber feet. Pull case off of control box.
3. Remove 2 screws in top of front panel
4. Remove 3 screws in bottom of front panel
5. Lay front panel down on table.
6. Remove 4 screws with lock washers and flat washers from small
circuit board on back of indicator drive assembly
7. Unsolder red and black leads from motor.
8. Remove pointer cover, pointer, and compass overlay.
9. Unplug cables from large circuit boards to right of drive assembly.
Be sure to mark the two eight pin ones to get them back in the right
10. Remove 4 screws with lock washers and flat washers from
large circuit board.
11. Remove 4 standoff bolts with lock washers and flat washers from
the bottom large circuit board.
12. Remove 2 screws from the small bracket that holds the main
13. Remove 4 screws that hold the indicator assembly to the front
panel. one of them should have a plastic insulator stuck on it under
the large circuit board.
14. Remove 3 screws with plastic spacers that hold the clear degree
dial on the indicator assembly. (now is the time to replace the
inducator bulb if that is bad!)
15. Remove 4 screws that hold the large metal plate on to the front
of the indicator drive assembly.
16. Take the rubber band off the motor pulley.
17. Remove the motor pulley from the shaft.
18. Remove the 2 screws that hold the motor to the frame.
Reverse process to reassemble with new motor, just watch out for
the following steps:
17. Make sure the motor pulley aligns with the big pulley that
the rubber band goes around
15. I think the holes only line up one way.
6. Test repair here, chances are 50-50 that you got red and black
wires on motor reversed.
ALL. watch out for pinched wires or wires with too much strain,
they are probably wrapped around the wrong way.
David Robbins K1TTT (ex KY1H)
k1ttt at berkshire.net or robbins at berkshire.net
CQ-Contest on WWW: http://www.contesting.com/_cq-contest/
Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com
More information about the CQ-Contest