[CQ-Contest] Warc band "un-contests"

MarchandJohn jmarchand at ecrm.com
Mon Jan 12 13:51:18 EST 1998

Hi all,

Been reading the thread about starting up some "non contest" activities
on the WARC bands... Hows-about leaving the WARC bands as they are..

If people want to work the WARC bands---Great! If not, thats OK too!

The WARCs are a nice place to go to make a few qso's and work a few
states/ctrys at your leasure without having to tweek your receiver up
tighter than a drum just to hear what the other guy is saying....
They're a place to give your ears A REST.

Whatever mode you work on the WARCs, its great to switch on the speaker
and maybe walk across the shack and diddle (no pun intended to the
RTTY guys) around with a project or look up something on a subject
the guy/gal at the other end is talking about.

Then as he's turning back to you, you can amble back to the mic/keyer
or whatever, and yak back at him while he is messing around on that
end.....

Sure you might want to "eek" out a coupla new states, or maybe a
country/zone or two, but you can do it at your own pace--pass along
some REAL information--and talk as long as you want without time limits...  Don't get me wrong, I DO CONTESTS, BUT, I occasionally like to
NOT do contests too....

Its like wanting to go out for a drive without having to enter the
SKUNK HOLLOW GRAND PRIX -- or going out for a few hours of fishing at
your favorite spot with some brewskis in the cooler--- without plopping
your butt in the middle of a BASS- MASTERS Tourney..
I hope you get my meaning..

If you glance at the numbers:
  *We have a total of 3,750 kc of HF spectrum to play with.
  *Out of that space, only 250kc is WARC bands..
  *Whats that? Roughly  6 percent or so??

Lets leave the 6 percent alone and just play hard in the other 94 percent.
Its like having a dedicated vacation spot from contesting.
AND Its been working ok so far.

My asbestos suit just came back from the cleaners, so I'm ready.

73,
John K1RC
35 mi NW of Boston (Tax-a-chusetts)

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com