[CQ-Contest] NAQP Rules - a different take

Bill Scholz bills at techna.com
Tue Jan 20 06:18:35 EST 1998

Hi Guys/Gals,

I've been following the discussion regarding NAQP power classes on the
reflector and I'm finally persuaded to put my oar in the water.

It seems to me that there is an increasingly wide gap growing between two
different groups of competitors---those with one radio and those with two
or more.

Rather than revise the classes to reflect power differences (or adjusting
the levels at which each class operates), I'd prefer to see creation of
classes like the following:

Single Op -- one radio (power at 100 or 150W, like Bill, W4AN I don't see
that it makes much difference)

Single Op -- multi radio (same power limits)

Multi Op -- multi radio (same power limits)

It seems to me that the differences in terms of performance between one
radio and multi-radios far outweigh the differences between otherwise equal
stations running different power levels.

Two other arguments in favor of the 3 above classes:

1. The levelness of the playing field is a lot easier to maintain within
each class so that I don't have to invest significant money in adding a
second radio in order to try to be competitive but can concentrate on
improving personal skills, operating efficiency and station design; and

2. There is a clear progression upward through the classes. For example,
once I'm satisfied that I've done all I can do to improve my personal
skills in the one radio environment, I can then face the challenge of
becoming competent as a two (or more) radio operator, and then can move to
the challenges of "managing" a multi/multi effort.

So there's another opinion in the pot...

73, Bill
W1HIJ

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com