[CQ-Contest] Response to "a different take"

W1HIJ--Bill W1HIJ at contesting.com
Tue Jan 20 15:16:23 EST 1998

At 17:29 20-01-98 -0500, you wrote:
>  There is a big difference between power restrictions and restricting
>  the number of radios one uses in a contest.  The latter requires more
>  skill than money.

Precisely my point Bill... but in order to develop the skill I have to have
a second radio huh? Besides, I never suggested placing restrictions on the
number of radios that could be used. I agree that that would be extremely
detrimental to the sport, the art, and the science.

>  Lets put the cards on the table...  You guys who want to create a
>  single-radio class are simply motivated by lack of desire to devote the
>  required time and effort in learning a skill.

Now I object to that--- I'd love to be able to have a second radio... in
fact I am in awe of what the people who are good at doing two or more
radios simultaneously can do. Given my personal situation, in the
forseeable future I'm no more likely to have a second radio than I am to
erect a 100' tower in my CC&R controlled community.... but, and here's the
point, in fact I operate in a different class than the people who operate
two (or more) radios.... so why not recognize the fact in published results?

>  You can create different category for me because I run different power,
>  live in a different area, dont use packet or other operators, etc.  But
>  dont reclass me because I am willing to work harder at winning.

Nobody is suggesting that--- only that your score (and mine) be compared
with those of stations of like basic capability, specifically number of
radios in simultaneous use. In addition of course there's always the chance
of a station/operator in a "lower" (whether defined by number of radios,
power, or whatever) class beating those in a "higher" class and gaining
fame and fortune as a result.

It's kind of like sailboat racing where boats and crews are ranked both by
class and overall in fleet.

>That's  the name of the game gentlemen.

And that's why most of us play it.

73,