[CQ-Contest] East coast vs. West coast

Dean Norris dnorris at k7no.com
Thu Jan 29 09:17:45 EST 1998

At 07:59 01/29/1998 -0800, you wrote:
>> Watching this debate, I've yet to see anyone say that they would pull up
>> stakes and move to the upper mid-west (ie: RF's Black hole).
>
>I wouldn't see myself pulling up stakes and moving to South Dakota to
>improve my ham radio situation, however one of the great things about
>ham radio is that you can do it from anyplace on the planet (modulo
>local regulations) and have fun.
>
>Looks like WD0T & W0SD do ok in Sweepstakes.  So do WB0Oooooo and
>VE4GV.  And WB9Z does "not bad for a 9" in the 160 contests.
>
>What was the problem again?  Did someone say it's impossible to win a
>contest from the mid-west?  Someone must have forgotten to tell these
>guys.
>
>--Trey, N5KO

Hi Trey,

I live in Arizona and will consider myself west coast, east coast or
midwest, whatever will get me the contact.  I will not likely win a major
contest but it won't be because of location.  I run a modest station, I
can't often compete with the east coast guns or the west coast guns.  I am
getting old and can't handle the full 48 hrs like I used to.  BUT.  I have
fun anyway and, that is what it is all about.  Contest winners do so by
location followed by BUCKS.  These two factors attract skill and that third
ingredient caps it off.

Those that can get in the fray, those that can't use Dr. DX!

cdn

                  C. Dean Norris, K7NO
               e-mail to dnorris at k7no.com
         Stupid people should be allowed to die!