[CQ-Contest] SIGNING CALLS

Jim Kehler kh2d at kuentos.guam.net
Sat Jul 25 05:21:49 EDT 1998

Well, Dave, I send TU KH2D - because I want to thank the station I
just worked for sitting in the pileup and working me, or for answering
my CQ, and it tends to be a better 'terminator' for the QSO, and lets
eveybody esle know I am waiting for the next call.

I have been reading this discussion with interest, but I think in some
ways it reminds me of the turtle and the hare story.

Granted, not sending a call sign saves me about 3 seconds. During
the last two contests there have been times when I can look at the
'rate meter' on the screen and I am over 200 Q's an hour - and
thats WITH 'TU KH2D' at the end of every contact.  It never lasts
for more than 15 minutes, but it gets that high.

At the end of the contest, it always averages out to 50 or so Q's
an hour. So saving 3 seconds during the 'busy season' really won't
buy me much - my problem is with my location and squirt gun
antenna, I run out of people to work.  A contest is over here after
24 hours - even at the peak of the last cycle, the first 24 hours was
always good for 75% of the contacts in any contest.

One thing I have noticed that really seems to get me a few more
contacts during the last few hours of a contest is to become as
inefficient as I can - I slow the keyer down to 15 or 16 WPM, send
a little sloppy, and give everybody who calls me a GE and a 73 TNX
at the end of the contact.  A lot of people call and give me 001 - I
honestly think less would call if was sitting here rapping out
TEST KH2D at 35 WPM.....

73, Jim KH2D
Mariana Islands DX Association - http://www.guam.net/pub/midxa/
Home Page - http://www.qsl.net/kh2d