[CQ-Contest] Contest exchange techniques

David Jones kk7gw at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 9 09:01:15 EST 1998

Well, I sure heard a few interesting exchanges.  All stations ID's have
been changed to
protect the innocent.  One poor DX station tripped his VOX and let out a
"sh**" after
realizing he screwed up a call and then had a dupe.

I heard another DX station running stations in an interesting manner.

Example:

DX: QRZ? DE DX6DX contest
*stations calling*
DX: W1ABC 59 KW
W1ABC: Thanks,
Break-in: Foxtrot London
Break #2: Hotel Victor
W1ABC: 59 Connecticut
DX: Connecticut, thanks.  Fox London, 59 KW
*exchange*
DX: Hotel Victor, 59 KW
*exchange*
DX: QRZ? DE DX6DX

And it repeats.  I even had a clear shot on a QRZ and got nothing...then
I tried an
experiment...I may get flamed for this.  I did a semi-tail end "Golf
Whiskey".  I promply
got a "Thanks, now GW, the 7GW station, 59 KW".  I didn't send the 7
part during the
tailend.

That was interesting.  I heard another very good example, where a DX
station made all 2-
letter callers repeat the full call, and he wouldn't give an exchange
until getting the full
call.  He also ID'd every Q, and was getting an easy rate of 300/hr.

There were good and bad exchanges...and I'm not going to list any more,
as I've probably
already tried the patience of many.

Flames, comments, whatever, will be considered, although I might not
agree.

73

David Jones, KK7GW
kk7gw at hotmail.com