[Fwd: Re: [CQ-Contest] Frequency theft]

Gus Samuelson gussam at newcomm.net
Wed Mar 11 12:43:55 EST 1998

Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 12:35:49 -0330
From: Gus Samuelson <gussam at newcomm.net>
To: T A RUSSELL <n4kg at juno.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Frequency theft

T A RUSSELL wrote:

(N4KG)

>         Another time, after 3 HOURS of running Europe on 20M
>         CW one morning,  a VO1 wanted to show me he could take
>         over my run frequency at will. After several protests,
>         I moved to 15M.  (N4KG)

Thomas:
I guess you left this statement a bit unqualified and
dangling
subject to whatever intrepretation one might wish to assign!
If it was my station you were alluding to why not say !

As the most active VO Contester I make it a policy never to intrude
(attempt to steal ) some body else's run frequency, although heaven
knows
as perennial Low Power CW entrant  I get trampled on very often.
Quite often stations to the south of us are not heard here early in the
day
and I have found myself actually sharing a frequency or close to it for
extended period until the propagation paths expand. Et le Voila !! we
both start hearing
 each other , happens all the time on 10/15 sometimes 20 but not quite
as often there.

My pet peeve is :
Hired guns at multi -op stations who hide behind the hosts call and
maintain their anonymity ..... CT CW keying sounds the same , no
signature fist !!
Invariably on  40 meters somebody at a multi-op stn wants my run freq
usually abt
1.5 hours after I have been there ( That's my propagation time advantage
)
of course my dipole against a pair of stacked monobanders looses just
about everytime.
Usually I resist however the object is to work stations,  not wrestle
with the competition. I decided a long time ago if you want to contest,
you learn to tolerate
everything and deal with the thieves as best you can.

73  Gus   VO1MP

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com