[CQ-Contest] Two letter calls !! {:<(

Paul E. Knupke, Jr. pk at ij.net
Thu Mar 12 11:07:33 EST 1998

> This young fellow ( I THINK KC5AJX is young) is taking some pretty
> heavy heat now on this issue of his call sign length.  I would suspect
> he's got the message.  Let's not poison him, and treat him in a way
> that causes him to become a contest hater.  At the very least lets
> be encouraging in a positive way.

I certainly agree with what Dale says.

I've got a 2x2 call and its not the shortest on phone (but does nice on CW
though I'm a semi-lousy CW op) so I know what KC5AJX is going through!  I
was KD4VMD at one time and that was tough but not as tough as using only
partial calls.

I'm pretty friendly when I run stations (usually on the 10m contest and
maybe NAQP) but I should make start being a little more less friendly on
this issue -- FULL CALLS ONLY PLEASE (see I said it nicely!)

There are two things that annoy me greatly...

1. partial callsigns
2. not signing between contacts

If everyone would follow that it would very nice.

There are some contesters out there with long calls, like WD4AHZ who is a
wizbang operator on both phone and cw ... and Ron seems to do very well!

You don't need a 1x2 or 2x1 to be competitive ...

I considered going to a 1x3 last summer but hate the thought of changing my
call (QSL cards, etc. etc.)

73 de KR4YL
Paul
Largo, FL