[CQ-Contest] Two letter calls !! {:<(

Ron Wetjen wd4ahz at gte.net
Thu Mar 12 18:10:45 EST 1998

Paul E. Knupke, Jr. wrote:

> There are some contesters out there with long calls, like WD4AHZ who is a
> wizbang operator on both phone and cw ... and Ron seems to do very well!

Gee, Thanks Paul!!!

I've been following the long call vs. short call discussion with obvious
interest.  Yeah, there have been times where I've sent my call, only to have
the station working a 1 X 2 or 2 X 1 before I even finish sending my call (I'm
not loud enough, running only Low Power).  Have also had the opposite happen
(which was also mentioned), when the big roar of 1 X 2's and 2 X 1's calling
dies down, my "AHZ" is still being sent (of course, along with the WD4 prefix
... ONLY full calls!) and I work the station that way ... either giving my full
call again, if needed, or they know it from recognizing the call (not many
other AHZ'eds!) or by using logging programs!  I've even had guys sending my
call and giving me a report before I even get my whole call out!  Now, THAT'S
good!

If you have trouble working a station after two or three calls, just forget it
and move on.  Don't waste time trying to work a station if he obviously can't
hear you.  I've seen this happen at our Field Day's ... guys would spend
several minutes trying to work a station!  Just forget it, move on, and try
again later.

Whatever you don't don't get discouraged ... just keep banging away to improve
your skills.  And most important, listen and learn from the "pros" on the
reflector and on the air.

73 and Good Luck, Ron  WD4AHZ

--

Ron Wetjen