[CQ-Contest] 2xc call sign etc (long)

Jim White, K4OJ k4oj at ij.net
Fri Mar 13 07:50:22 EST 1998

Rick,

For what it is worth I received a lot of e-mail telling me my response to
you was a lil harsh....they assumed you were a kid, and I assumed that
since you were subscribing to CQ-Contest you were someone interested in
contesting and wanted to be better at contesting...not being of the
politically correct movement I was not thinking of not hurting your
feelings first, I assume you wanted to be more successful at contesting!

Judging by your reply you are indeed a contester at heart....you have taken
the input given you including flames like mine and used it to formulate a
game plan as to how to do better in your contesting.  This is the mark of a
good contester, learning from experience wherever you can glean it, it is
not coincidence that the top ten finishers in the major contests are not
newcomers to contesting - to compete with guys who have a lot of years
under their belt takes some of the same....you need to amass knowledge of
all kinds of things from operating technique to propagation to what kind of
chair to sit in for 45 hours a weekend!, sometimes this knowledge is gained
from flames on the www!

I wish you well in the tower project.  One ham pointed out you have an X in
your call which is indeed a gem....for years I enjoyed having a callsign
which ended in X and when I did use it (rarely) on phone I knew it was a
keeper....unfortunately when I changed callsigns the good ones ending in X
for this district were taken.

If you wanna really suck up some good info budget yourself for a trip to
the Dayton Hamvention...and spend your nights at the Crown Plaza hotel...if
you think lots of stuff is available here imagine it one on one, mano a
mano, think about questions and feel free to ask them - this is what makes
our end of the hobby great, I have yet to NOT get support from another ham
when I had a question, I have been contesting for 25 plus years
now....awesome!

Good Luck With Your Plans....hopefully you will beat me out in a pileup
every now and then! (NOT!)

73, see you in the FQP

Jim, K4OJ

Florida Contest Group - visit our website at:

http://www.4w.com/deemer/fcg.htm

What's an FQP? The Florida Contest Group is pleased to announce the
rebirth of the Florida QSO Party, check out the FQP website@:

http://home1.gte.net/wd4ahz/fcg/ssqp.htm

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com