[CQ-Contest] Ethical question

LU5CW Ernesto Grueneberg lu5cw at qsl.net
Fri Mar 13 08:21:20 EST 1998

Well, this happens all the eime around here. I act as follows:
    I don't ack the "helper" and keep trying to work the weak station
(unless he kept helping, when i said "thanks"). If I still don't hear the
station, I say "sorry, can't copy you, you are not in my log" and then try
to explain the helper why he shouldn't help anymore ('cause I need to hear
the station myself, it's not a valid qso until I do).
    NEVER log a station if I don't hear by myself...

Now a new subject broght up by some past K1AR cq survey... the question was
something like: if you know the contest comitee of some contest won't catch
you cheating, wuold you cheat?

This problem happens all the time. We all know, at least from DX that the CQ
WPX comittee doesn't check any logs, so when I work that contest I am very
tempted to write down any number when i don't hear the exchange...
I never did, but when someone beats you for a few points and you heard him
in the contest busting some calls and told you (true). "I have some stations
calling this weekend I couldn't copy the number so I made up some of my
own"... Well that bothers me...

Any reasons logs are not checked in contests, except for WW??

73
Ernesto Grueneberg LU5CW (ex LU6BEG, LU2BRG)
mailto:lu5cw at qsl.net
The list of calls I've used will be soon in my web page...

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com