[CQ-Contest] RE: Zero point Q's from the little guy

Roy Maull rmaull at access.mountain.net
Wed Mar 18 22:06:23 EST 1998

     The current thread reqarding zero point q's is interesting, and I
thought I would throw in something from the "water pistol" station aspect.
I have worked US stations in a DX contest.  But, only the ones I need for
mults, and have even missed some, because I forgot that US stations do count
for something:-)

     What really hurts, after working hard to be heard, is when my Q is not
logged and or logged incorrectly I lose the points.  Now, that really
doesn't amount to a hill of beans compared to the loss incurred by one of
the big M/M stations and their large score.  But, when I start comparing my
score with my own class, it can be a "huge" loss.  Just about the same on a
percentage basis as the big score.

  Working zero point Q's does seem to be a problem for the loud station that
attracts a fair percentage of these, but that should be something that goes
with the territory.  If, you are going to be loud, you can expect other
stations to work you.  And, if all us "little pistol" stations can't work
the "big" stations for the mults, then where do we go?  Would the "big guns"
be willing to set aside a portion of the band that is off limits to them, so
that little pistol stations can congregate and get the mults we need?:-)

     I'm not on the side of penalizing anyone for an honest mistake, and
don't think that the answer is points for same country contacts.  The US and
Canada are unique in having more than one zone per country, and so there is
more to lose by not allowing mults for same country contacts, and for the
US, there are not that many Canadian zone 3 stations to be worked.  So, that
is not the way either.  But, if a station shows a propensity for not logging
contacts that hurt other stations scores, then something needs to be in
place to handle this.

     I also don't understand the reason for not logging a station worked.
If the time is spent, it should be accounted for.  Removing dupes and zero
point Q's would skew the picture when looking at what the station did.  Of
course, if the objective is to present a pretty looking log, with nothing
but points in the right hand column, then it does make sense, I guess:-)

     Just some thoughts, guess I had better get into the asbestos suit, and
submerge in water... FLAME ON!!

     73.. Roy  N8YYS
  Keep West Virginia beautiful.. Grow ALUMINUM!!

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com