[CQ-Contest] Kachina

T A RUSSELL n4kg at juno.com
Sun May 17 08:16:54 EDT 1998

On Sat, 16 May 1998 16:08:32 -0400 "Ron Martin" <kamar at tiac.net> writes:

SNIP

>The turning knob that Kachina will be providing (assuming that it
>incorportates the same feel and smoothness of 'Real' radio knob) will
>bring the touch and feel of 'scanning and jumping'.  Now if Kachina can
make that darn thing into a Contest Quality radio............I will buy
one.

>The only reason to keep the radio knobs is tradition and to keep the
>costs up.
>
>Ron ............. NU1U
>
>Yes, I like the old traditional knobs....but give me simplicity and a
>bullet proof radio for contesting and dxing.

Ron -

I beg to differ on your statement regarding tuning knobs.   As a receiver
design engineer for Chrysler, we have car radios with tuning knobs and
radios with lever action tuning and volume.

ROTARY controls are overwhelmingly prefered for both tuning and volume.

The difference is that with a ROTARY control, one can vary the tuning
RATE
which is rarely the case with most digital pushbutton or lever action
controls.
Invariably, the tuning is too fast for fine tuning and too slow for
moving from
one end of the band to the other.

de   Tom   N4KG

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com