[CQ-Contest] Packet Cheating

Lee Buller k0wa at southwind.net
Fri May 22 12:39:05 EDT 1998

At 08:15 AM 5/22/98 -0700, you wrote:

>> None of this proves anything.  You can be logged in, having the cluster
>> send you spots, and not display them on your screen by selecting the
>> appropriate class in CT or NA (TR?).
>>
>> 73, Ty K3MM
>
>That's not what I'm talking about - I mean the guy that doesn't log on,
>but monitors for spots (and there are programs that let you do just that)
>then somehow "magically" appears on frequency within seconds, submitting a
>single-op log, of course.
>
>This is not something that can be spoofed except if someone uses your call
>to work the spotted station, then manages to put it in your log somehow.
>Even a casual review of spots vs. the log would clearly show this
>behavior.
>
>Yes, it's an "empty victory" for the cheater, but also a real
>disappointment for the legitimate player who rapidly loses motivation to
>go up against these guys year after year.
>
>73, Ward N0AX

Ward...you have some good observations here.  Out here in Kansas....clusters
are  not available.  Nadda!  Not a one.  So, I can't even cheat.  Even if I
got on the Internet, to a domestic cluster I doubt it would help me.  To
much RF in the shack and the phone line.

I take the shotgun approach to contesting.  Get on the air...stay on the
air...call CQ...hunt and pounce....work the contest....change bands....flow
with the propagation...be persistant....know where the multipliers hang
out...do the best you can with what you have...work, work, work...and be smart.

To me thats what a good contest has to do!

lee
k0wa at southwind.net

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com