[CQ-Contest] Zero-point QSO's in CQWW

Steve Lund wa8lly at pacbell.net
Mon Nov 16 21:29:46 EST 1998

Dick, N6AA/VK5 wrote:

> I don't think zero-point QSO's need fixing.

The loss of these zero-point QSOs is very important. I placed 2nd on
the West Coast in the low power category, even though I received a 17%
score reduction due to zero point QSO deductions! How would you big guns
feel if you worked hard all weekend and had your score reduced 17%. Even
worse was reading the CQWW CW Honor Roll in the recent issue of CQ
Contest and finding many of the stations that didn't log me on the Honor
Roll. I've gone back over my tapes of the contest and in each case the
other station did send me a signal report. I thought the idea of the UBN
reports was to find ways to improve your operating. If this is the case,
why aren't the stations not logging zero point QSOs penalized?

In the US there are potentially 24 mults (3 zones + 1 country) * 6 Bands
from zero-point QSOs. For a low power station this is easily 10-20% of
the score. It is a real waste of time S&Ping multiple zero-point QSOs in
hopes that one will stick.

There would appear to be several solutions:

1) Penalize the stations who are not logging the QSOs. Now that logs are
being computer checked, it should be quite obvious that a station has a
high NIL total for zero point QSOs. At some level (3 was suggested by
Barry, W2UP) the log should be classified as a check log or the
multiplier (US) removed. A real penalty would quickly change behavior.

2) Get rid of zero point QSOs. This seems unlikely.

3) On SSB I didn't lose a single zero point QSO multiplier, while on CW
I lost almost all of them. On SSB it doesn't take long to say 'I need
the mult', but how do you do this on CW? I can understand that the Big
Guns don't want to get a run of zero point QSOs going. How about some Q
signal that says that I'm seriously in the contest and need your
multiplier?

73,
Steve K6UM

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com