[CQ-Contest] CW speed - send vs. copy

W1HIJCW at aol.com W1HIJCW at aol.com
Tue Nov 17 10:05:45 EST 1998

Dan,

>  Seems to me that I should probably send it as fast as I think they can copy
>  (using a computer to do the sending, so the fist is good) - saves the
>  running station time.  But it is a small hassle for me (to change speed
back
>  and forth), and if I need to actually send by hand (for a fill, say) it
will
>  be slow (I can't send fast by hand) and if I ask them to repeat something,
>  want them to understand clearly that I need the reply in slow motion.

Well, here's one guy's opinion.  Send the exchange at a speed which is
comfortable for you to copy or maybe a little faster to give you an incentive
to improve your speed. When I'm CQ'g and someone calls me at a noticeably
slower speed than my CQ, I assume that they want a reply at their speed, not
mine. When they send the exchange, I make the same assumption and if I need a
fill I will ask at their
new speed. So my thing is to stay in sync with the sending station. If you're
that station and send faster than you can reasonably copy, we have a potential
comedy of errors.

Glad you got on and that you enjoyed SS. It's still one of the best CW
contests around.

Cheers,

Bill, W1HIJ
Newport Beach, CA