[CQ-Contest] It's SV, not SCV!

David A. Pruett k8cc at ix.netcom.com
Mon Apr 26 00:15:45 EDT 1999

I never really thought much about giving the state/section abbreviation
phonetically.  In pronunciation, Michigan does not seem to need phonetics,
when you're running people or signals are loud.  However, I noticed when I
was at W3LPL for ARRL SSB in March that many of the ops would say
"Maryland, Mike Delta".  Perhaps it's a good time investment to make 100%,
to avoid having the other station have to ask for a fill.

Funny, but I don't seem to have a problem with logging Sacramento Valley as
SV.  Perhaps its because I've been out there or whatever, but when the
other guy gives "Sacramento Valley" I seem to "see" the "S" & "V".
However, I'm not claiming to be perfect - if I did that I'm sure N6TR could
turn up some report showing how many times I blew it :-)

I can't speak for CT or TRLog, but I make every effort to have the
multiplier files distributed with NA use the "official" or published
abbreviations.  Why is Quebec now QC?  Makes no sense to me, but I go along
with it.

I agree with ZL1ANJ, that standard US postal service abbreviations come
first.  LA = Lousiana and SD = South Dakota.  Some responsibility HAS to be
placed at the receiving end for the operator to understand what is an ARRL
section and how to log it.  No sympathy for a busted QSO.

BTW, K9TM and I are working on checking the ARRL 10 logs and its truly
amazing what people will use for a state abbreviation.  One log has KL7 as
ALASK.  I don't have a problem if people want to use whatever abbreviation
they want, but what goes into the ARRL-format log file should be standard.
This should be easy for the logging programs to do.

73,

Dave/K8CC

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com