[CQ-Contest] 10m contest

Paul Hicks, VE3ZT ve3bbh at interlog.com
Tue Dec 14 22:01:46 EST 1999

Hi Ed,

I have also noticed--with annoyance--the abundance of poor/wide/lousy audio
signals during contests. Not really any excuse these days, what with the
fabulous equipment that we are using. I think we have to inform these
stations more often. Frankly, I would want to know if I had a lousy signal.
Let's take the few extra seconds to tell these people, instead of just
"59-Ontario" and on to the next one. If enough of us do it, things should
improve. If we don't, things will continue to deteriorate.

73, Paul
VE3ZT

____________________

>I for one, have never heard as great a number of stations who were
>overdriving, and splattering, and the biggest offender in the group
>was a 5 in TX. There is absolutely no excuse for a signal with
>"feathers" out +/- 5 kHz or more.
>
>Now there is a difference between being loud and splattering. But when
>20db of attenuation is put in, and you're on the back side of a wide
>spaced yagi with a F/B over 46db, and I can hear you 5 kHz awat,
>you're not loud, you're splattering.

(Snip)

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com