[CQ-Contest] networking

Barry Kutner w2up at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 28 13:53:09 EDT 1999

Hi all - I am planning a computer upgrade in the near future. My last
few have been Dells, and they've always worked well. Now, in looking
at thesystem options, it seems that their current batch of Ethernet
cards only have RJ-45 connectors. In the past, I've used coax and BNCs.
Negatives of RJ-45s, as I see it, are need for a router and less
RF-proof. Is the industry trend to eliminate the BNC/coax connection
and go strictly RJ-45, or is this just Dell's current crop of
Ethernet cards?
If it's just Dell, I can always buy the BNC Ethernet card elsewhere and
install it myself, rather than getting it preconfigured.  If BNCs are
disappearing like ISA slots, maybe RJ-45 is the way to go...
What say network gurus?
73 Barry
Barry Kutner, W2UP                            Internet: w2up at mindspring.com
Newtown, PA                                   Frankford Radio Club

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com