[CQ-Contest] Re: Last 2

W2CE at aol.com W2CE at aol.com
Thu Jul 29 10:44:05 EDT 1999

In a message dated 7/29/99 09:06:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
w9sz at prairienet.org writes:

> For one thing, it's illegal.  You are supposed to identify with your full
>  callsign.

Ever since they changed the rules where the first OFFICIAL signing of your
call is at the first 10 minute point rather than the start of a QSO the form
of any calling ID can be argued.  Only 10 minute intervals and ending points
of a QSO need a formal complete ID with your callsign.  That is callsign and
not any other form except phonetics as required ID's.

If I can holler "Hey Trey" and he recognizes the voice in the pileup and
comes back it is still not illegal and it sure better not take me 10 minutes
to work him in a pileup either.

While full calls may be the best way to entire into a logging program, that
is for your ease.  It is not a law, nor even supported by many contesters.
Who can say that they never heard a partial call maybe from a new mult and
said P5---- your call again please ?

The operator controls the pileup by the methods he handles it.  If guys see
full calls being copied he gives that.  If the operator is stuck digging out
calls then other methods com into play. Repetative last 2's have a better
chance of being heard when only a few milliseconds gap in QRM exists.

The method of choice rolls down to conditions, pileup size and operator
ablity to control it.  When operators fall beind, doesn't copy an immediate
caller and studies the pileup for 5 seconds or more every QSO, people are
going to look for other methods to get themselves poked between the nosie.

On the subject of last 2 <vs> full callsigns, remember that for at least USA
amateurs to comply with the "followed all rules of my country" that at the
least you must officially announce you full callsign at the end of every QSO.
This is not format or coutresy but radio rules. Regardless of contest rules,
you must still hold a legal QSO.

And to those so willing to not log the guy who called with his last 2 and
made you go back to edit the call, who looses when you fail to hit the
<enter> key but rather delete it ?  Odds are he's a weekend warrior make his
100 Q's or so to fell good and never sends a log.  Just look at the numbers
of Q's, then the number of logs submitted.  When do we see more than 30%
submitted logs compared to some of the Q totals.

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com