[CQ-Contest] Malicious Interference

Bruce Sawyer zf2nt at candw.ky
Sat Mar 6 17:00:50 EST 1999

Good Morning Sir,

I have found that you are the trustee for club call K0TEX, issued to the
Red River Radio Club, so wanted to bring an issue to your attention
involving the misuse of that call.  Please understand that I am not
accusing you of anything, but since you are the person who has oversight
for the use of that club call there is a problem of which I think you
should be aware.

I was operating in the ARRL DX Contest this morning, 6 March.  I was on
15m at about 1300Z when I received a call from K0TEX.  I answered the
operator, and he gave me a report of "59 Vagina".  I went back and asked
him for a correction on the state, and told him what I thought I heard.
His answer:  "Yeah, I just wanted you to know you're an asshole."  Then
he continued jamming me for the following 10 minutes or so.  I
completely ignored him and kept working other stations.  The operator
was doing his best to prevent me from making contacts, but they were
getting through anyway.  Then the operator got an inspiration of how to
cause more trouble.  He began CQing on my frequency with my call,
ZF2NT.  I did hear several people answer him, and he gave them my
report.  He was also answering other calls which may or may not have
been real, but I could not hear them.  At that point I just changed
frequencies, so I don't know what may have transpired after I left.
Needless to say, there are now some people who have my call in their
logs but who are not in my log.

Again, I am not accusing you personally of this behavior.  But since you
are trustee of that call I think you would want to take steps to ensure
that people using this call are not permitted to use it in the future in
ways that would reflect negatively on you.

Sincerely,
Bruce Sawyer, ZF2NT/N6NT

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com