[CQ-Contest] SS-LOG Super-Check

thompson at mindspring.com thompson at mindspring.com
Sat Mar 6 16:30:36 EST 1999

I agree with K5GA that there is too much Close checking of logs in many
contests and that the fun of contesting is being taken away.  There needs to
be a balance of checking so that if close checking is needed let this be
only the top 50 or 100 logs.  I get comments from time to time that someone
won't enter a contest because of the penalties thrown at even the lowest of
scores (the core of all contesters).

The practices that take the fun out of a contest include heavy penalties,
requiring a computer log (I still get 35 to 40% of the Cq 160 logs as paper
entries including many top Dx entries), and too much emphasis on uniques.  I
feel that in contests such as the SS, CQ WW DX, ARRL DX, and CQ WPX that we
punish the little guy/gal rather than encourage them to enter.

Lets keep the "total" checking of every contact to WRTC and the Top scores
so we don't chase away the average contester or the newcomer.

Contesting for 42 years,

Dave K4JRB, Ex K5MDX, VP2MDX

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com