[CQ-Contest] SS-LOG Super-Check

Dave_K9NX n7ex at athenet.net
Sun Mar 7 00:37:52 EST 1999

>#1..........SS is not Sprint. I don't feel SS should be checked as hard as
>Sprint because of the tremendous amount of unique information that is
>exchanged in SS. Too many variables with QRM and fading that allows one
dit to
>be lost which causes TWO QSOs lost. The penalty thing is ridiculous.

I think you missed the whole point of having an exchange in the first place
then,  maybe you should stick to contests that require you to just send
59(state)

>#2..........Too much "professionalizing" of SS will chase off many casual
>operators who give us the Qs. Why should a station who is trying for a pin
>etc. waste his time knowing that some professional log checker is going to
>nick-pick his log to death to the point of  possibly losing the pin. Or,
>consider a small pistol who is trying to improve last year's score  ( which
>will bring the person back next year for more improvement ), but finds  the
>log was penalized to the Nth degree, thus making the person mad enough to
>quit. I know some of you will think logging accuracy is part of the
>improvement process. Well, it is, but don't slap these people too hard over
>this 100% accuracy thing

I would bet just the opposite, the casual operator could care less  about
loosing credit for 5 or 10 Q's. If casual ops were going to be chased away
they would have left along time ago when the mega stations running two (or
more ) radios into antenna farms that most of us can only dream about
became as prominent as they have. After all 99.2% of us are not in the top
ten ,and we still keep coming back each year.

>#3..........The idea of checking so diligently is going to force the Top 10
>stations to record the contest and edit it afterward. Pesonally, I find this
>distasteful and not in the spirit of competition. If it comes to this, I will
>most likely drop out of SS because my life does not revolve around contesting
>to the point of having to edit my log because all the other stations of which
>I am competing against is editing. Sorry, but give me a big BREAK. Enough.

Again I beg to differ, My money would bet on the side that most "top ten"
contesters will strive to improve their accuracy rather than resort to
re-editing every QSO in the log. I'd hate for you or anyone else to drop
out just because he didn't want his log put under the microscope. Instead
of feeling bad about all of this maybe the right thing to do would be to
record the contest then when you get the corrections go back , listen to
those "busted  QSOs" and see if you can LEARN about what went wrong then
work on improving your fist, phonetics, filtering whatever to reduce the
errors in the future. Besides even if you did scrub your log that doesn't
correct the problem if you are not in the other guys log, its unlikely that
we will call anybody on the phone to re verify our QSO's,. Oh I'm sure that
some folks do record and scrub the log, I can live with the fact that they
do that, I also have to live with myself so I don't!. Of course I'm more
like a "top 30" contester and not a "top 10" big dog.

All in all....... "Alas poor Will , me thinks thou doth protest too much,
tis a pity thy wine hath turned to vinegar".

Maybe we should give out special awards to logs with 99.9% accuracy
instead....

My vote is for more log checking not less!
Dave
K9NX

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com