[CQ-Contest] SS-LOG Super-Check

Fred Roberts froberts at pe.net
Wed Mar 10 15:45:56 EST 1999

Hi-

Have been reading this thread and have been interested in how several
have postulated the impact on the "low scorer", whether a part-timer or
someone with lesser CW skills.

I am a bonifide "lesser-skilled" CW op (50 CW QSOs in first 38 years
licensed and became interested in CW ~10 years ago).  Nowadays, probably
98% of my CW operating takes place in SS.

My first CW SS yielded 200 Q's and my highest was 400 Q's ... with 16-18
hours operating time.  I usually operate 70-80KHz up from the bottom
edge ... and run.  My starting CW speed is 16wpm and usually end up at
22wpm.  And, I am not bashful about sending ?  W8?  SEC? and/or CK? as
often as I need it .... sometimes more than once or twice too!  By the
way, without computer contest logging I wouldn't participate, and my
guess is there a lot more like me around.

I have been collecting SS CW/SSB pins since 1992,  Since Dan Henderson,
N1ND. says the Pins and the Clean Sweep Cups will be judged by the
claimed achievement, the log checking has zero impact on us "lesser
skilled, but enjoy contesting" operators.

It will be interesting to learn my actual error rate, but I know that in
Phone contests I have had  busted calls as evidenced by a few "busted"
QSLs received.  These were busted calls, even though I use phonetics on
every exchange without exception.  "Roberts Rule #413:  A busted call
takes two operators, not one."

Even though I have no hope of being in the top anything other than my
Section occasionally, it seems to me the 3 QSO penalty rule ought to be
re-visited ... particularly in view of the use of computer logging.  The
origination of the "penalty" came in the days when paper logs were used,
and poor, inaccurate, sloppy, dishonest, etc. loggers were measurably
less detectable without a major number of hours of log checking time by
the contest sponsor.  Right now, since it seems like a piece of cake ...
maybe the penalty should be changed to 1 QSO, 2 QSO's or even no
penalty.  With Super-Duper-Check, the right score is always used to
measure success, so what purpose does a penalty have?

With Super-Duper-Check, there is no incentive to do less than your best.

73-
Fred Roberts, W6TKV
Riverside, CA

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com