[CQ-Contest] After-the-fact WPX Scoring Thoughts

Fred Roberts froberts at pe.net
Sun Mar 28 19:02:18 EST 1999

Hi-

I have always enjoyed spending some time in WPX, but have never spent
many hours operating ... maybe 6-8 hours tops.  Guess it had something
to do with "owning" a common W6 prefix.  Because US QSOs now count 1
point, I figured there was a reasonable incentive to work US stations,
and so decided to get a little more serious.

Anyway, I spent about 26-27 hours in WPX this year, virtually all in the
S&P mode.  I ended up with 712 Q's and 412 Prefixes.  Because my older
version of NA scores zero points for US Q's, I had to adjust the scoring
and this led to the following data.

Old scoring system ... 729 Q's included 250 "zero point" Q's ... 588,748
points

New scoring system ... 729 Q's ... 691,748 points

The old "zero point" Q's were 34% of the total (250 of 729), but I have
no idea what the percentage was in prior years.

The new score was 17% higher than it would have been under the old
system.

It strikes me that the "1 point" addition got more operating hours out
of me than would have happened without it.  My guess is the DX probably
gained about 300 Q's from me as a result.

Wonder if anyone else went through this same process and shared these
same thoughts?

73-
Fred Roberts, W6TKV
Riverside, CA