[CQ-Contest] QSO parties

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at mb.sympatico.ca
Tue May 4 13:06:17 EDT 1999

While I disagree with Dave's proposal to modify QSO parties, I appreciate
the discussion, as it may prove helpful to sponsors of less-popular QSO
parties should they wish to increase participation.

But...

I think each contest sponsor needs to determine what he/she/they want
from a contest. It is their contest, after all.

If the intent is to become another CQP, I think they need to take some
lessons from the CQP sponsors, who do an excellent job marketing the
contest, and encouraging operations from all counties. K4OJ can also
teach some guys a few things about marketing a contest. (How many days
till FQP, Jim? 350 or so?) If you want your QSO party to be well
attended, marketing is the key. And not giving up after the first, or
second, or third attempt.

And I think contests such as FQP and CQP would be diminished by allowing
``outsider'' to ``outsider'' QSOs.

If, on the other hand, the sponsor isn't interested in a big contest, and
is merely trying to generate SOME activity from their state's or
province's hams, they may feel turning it into a beeg contest may
discourage some ops from joining in. That's their prerogative.

I think if you want to invent a better QSO party, do it. But it may be
unreasonable to expect existing parties to cater to the interests of
those who want another quote-unquote REAL contest.

As K8CC alluded, a waste of time is in the eye of the beholder.

--
73, kelly
VE4XT
ve4xt at mts.net

Opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author. Gender-specific
pronouns used only for convenience. Your mileage may vary. In case of
discrepancy between these opinions and the REAL opinions of the author,
the latter shall prevail. May contain peanuts. Not responsible for lost
belongings. Past performance is no guarantee of future returns.

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com