[CQ-Contest] Busted calls, SCP and technology

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at mb.sympatico.ca
Tue May 11 10:02:06 EDT 1999

Hi.

Interesting reading about the complaints over penalties for busted calls.
Hmmm, given these rules have (essentially) always existed, is it the
rules people are complaining about, or the fact that we now have a way to
catch the violations?

SCP -- I'm on the fence on this one. What do you think? If the SCP
database is compiled from the operator's own past contests, it seems to
me to be but an extension of check partial. If it's OK to do check
partial based on previous QSOs in the same contest, is it really a
violation to do check partial based on QSOs in previous contests? Are
both SCP and CP a bad idea? And to what extent, given the error reports
we're seeing, has SCP CREATED more errors than it has averted? (Work 'em
wrong the first time and...)

As for technology, I think we can draw some parallels to other sporting
events. Basketball, for instance. If Nike comes out with a lighter,
grippier court shoe, do we ban Allen Iverson from wearing it? No.

If Allen Iverson showed up with a robot to play for him, would that be
allowed? Not in your dreams. But someone MIGHT start a different
competition for such a creation. That would be welcome.

--
73, kelly
VE4XT
ve4xt at mts.net

Opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author. Gender-specific
pronouns used only for convenience. Your mileage may vary. In case of
discrepancy between these opinions and the REAL opinions of the author,
the latter shall prevail. May contain peanuts. Not responsible for lost
belongings. Past performance is no guarantee of future returns.

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com