[CQ-Contest] Re: Choice of CW Narrow filters

v31jp at logical123.net v31jp at logical123.net
Wed May 12 15:11:23 EDT 1999

As always, Fred shows his wisdom & experience. From the old
school, we listen, we don't hear any activity, we CQ.

To expose one of the old tricks, if someone "QRL?'s", many
believe that the questioning operator has already listened
and take that opportunity to say "Yes" or "CQ".

As to what your choice of filters to use, that is yours, but
I have that same choice. If I use my 250 Hz filter on the
crowded 40 meter CW band and find a clear spot, I'll CQ.
It was a disappointing experience to have someone drop on my
frequency and tell me to move, QRL, when I was hearing no
QRM and had worked several stations. Shortly, my rate dropped
and with an accidental striking of escape during a CQ, I hear
intentional QRMing zero beat with me. I asked why and after a
short discussion, I asked who the station was. If he identified
himself correctly, I have to say I was very disappointed by one
that I thought was a top EU operator. At this point, it was not
possible to simply ignore this station. I had asked at the onset
of this which way to move with no reply. At this late point in the
contest, I was working the less than power house stations, but QSYed
to another band to avoid further conflict.

I can copy fairly well with my "between the ears" filters, but the
weaker signals need the help of the narrower radio filters to keep
from being dropped down by the AGC. It isn't just a case my QSO
rate, but the fellas I'm working needed me, also.

I have had the case of being told QRL by an apparently SO2R
station or someone returning from a potty break. This has
happened after a couple of QSO's! Sorry fellas! When you're
gone for a minute or two from a frequency, it isn't your
frequency anymore.

These sort of activities are pressing me to record my activites.
These kinds of unsportsmenship operating habits are becoming
more and more prevailant and should be admonished.

And, Mr. Chertok knew what he was talking about!

--
73 de K8 Joe "Palooka" & Beverly
Joe Pontek

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com