[CQ-Contest] Contesting Rigs for <$1300 Help

Mark Adams k2qo at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 12 23:52:15 EDT 2000

Hi Gang,

I am an avid QRP (mostly CW) contester and would like to take the plunge
with a new rig; first one ever! With 1300 bux to play with I have identified
the following as possible choices.

1. Ten Tec Omni V (used ~$1225 from TenTec)
2. Kenwood TS 570S(G) ~$1289
3. Icom 746  ~$1300

For the past few years I have been using either a TenTec Argo 556 or TenTec
Argosy. I would like to move up to computer control and 100 Watts for the
contests that have no QRP section. For antennas, I run a ladder line fed
dipole for all bands 80-10, an HF2V with LOTS of radials and a top loaded
vertical for winter 160M work. Four elements flies up at 35' for 6M.

When not contesting I rag chew, check into local SSB HF nets, DX, pretty
much a little of everything.

It seems that the qrp guys are going gaga over the K2. I played with it but
it does not have the feature set of a real contest rig. Also, I do not see
many comments from contesters on the 3 rigs above.

So, if you were only going to spend $1300, which rig would you buy? Of
course I prefer to buy American, but is the Omni V a suitable rig? Bear in
mind I will not have a tower or amp for the next decade or so, if ever.

Thanks!
Mark, K2QO, from Clarence, NY