[CQ-Contest] Contesting Rigs for <$1300 Help

k8cc k8cc at mediaone.net
Sun Aug 13 13:37:07 EDT 2000

Mark,

The Omni-V, while a good radio, will not meet your requirement for computer
control.  The Omni-V computer interface protocol is crippled, and cannot
control the radio in the way needed.  Neither CT, NA, nor TR support the
Omni-V to the best of my knowledge.

We've had reports (plural, more than one) on the NA reflector that the
TS-570 has problems with CW keying while the computer control interface is
also in use.  One of our JA users contacted Kenwood who had no satisfactory
explanation for the problem.

A number of our club guys have bought IC-746s and are pretty pleased with
them.  While it might not be as good as a FT-1000 on the bottom end of 40
CW in CQWW, I've heard no bad reports.  Plus, the 100W on 50 and 144 MHz
opens some new opportunities.

The ICOM would be my choice.

73,

Dave/K8CC