[CQ-Contest] Opinions wanted on HF rigs

MIKE FANNING mike.fanning at adtran.com
Tue Aug 15 18:56:08 EDT 2000

Hi folks - Looking for some opinions, and I think this is the motherlode...
I currently have an FT990 that I have been using for the last year.  Love
the ergonomics and feel of the rig, but don't like the receiver hiss
(without the switched cap filter engaged) and HATE the rigs QSK.  I am
leaning strongly toward selling it this weekend at the hamfest and replacing
with a ? (here's were the opinion part starts...).  My interests lie
primarily in little pistol contesting and DXing, almost exclusively on CW.
The rig will probably be hauled to FD every year.  Internal supply would be
nice, but not necessary.  Here's the question:

What does the contesting community think about the TS850?  I have read good
things about the rig, but it looks clunky (at least in pictures).  I have
never used one, so I can't speak from experience.  How does the radio
perform in full break-in?  How does the internal voice keyer work?  Are
there any owners of a 990 / 850 combo that can give me a side-by-side
comparison?  Am I insane for dumping a 990 for an 850?

How 'bout the 1000MP?  Also heard lots of great things, but alas more
dough...  How are the QSK characteristics on this rig?  How useful in real
life is the second inband receiver?  Is the 2nd receiver being only double
conversion a limiting factor?  I used one at FD this year and found it
intimidating to try and drive...

Anybody contesting with an Omni VI+?  I have heard WONDERFUL things about
Ten-Tec's QSK, but frankly it just don't have the neato things like internal
tuner and supply that I think it should to justify the $$.

The 1000MP and the 850 are the primary ones I am looking at.  I would be
interested in hearing from users of other radios as well.  I welcome all
opinions, but I am especially interested in those folks who have dumped one
of these rigs in favor of a different type.  Why did you do so?  What DIDN'T
you like about radio x?

Please email me direct at my home: fanning at hiwaay.net

Thanks for the help, and perhaps see you this weekend in NAQP phone if I
recover from the 'fest.

73,
-Mike Fanning, K4GU

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com