[CQ-Contest] Xcvrs as carry-ons

Bob Naumann - N5NJ n5nj at gte.net
Thu Aug 24 04:55:15 EDT 2000

I have traveled numerous times through customs at both Miami and San
Juan and have never been asked to power up anything.

The key to minimizing hassle is to have your radio inside a 'normal'
suitcase.  In my situation, I place my TS-850 inside a wheelie
carry-on type bag that fits into the overhead bin.  The whole thing
goes through the x-ray machine and no questions are asked.

Cardboard boxes are a no-no.

The only time I got hassled was when I brought my TS-940 to Antigua
and checked it as luggage in it's cardboard box.  I had to tear
everything apart that trip.  The year before, I hand carried my 940
and lengthened my right arm .5 inches.  The agony of that led to
checking it as luggage the following year.

Since then, I carry the 850 as described as above, and it's smooth
sailing.  I have also checked a radio(well padded and wrapped in
bubble pack) inside a regular piece of luggage and also had no trouble
with that.

73,
Bob

Robert E. Naumann