[CQ-Contest] Kenwood TS940 computer interface

Zack Widup w9sz at prairienet.org
Fri Aug 25 08:26:13 EDT 2000

On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, Steve Lufcy wrote:

> Tom-
> I too bought the IF-232 interface for my 940 and could not get it to work. I lent it to a friend who interfaced his 870 with it, so th IF-232 was good.
> Turns out that the 940 must have a chip inside for the IF232 to interface with and not all 940's have it.
> I ended up buying the TS-940 IF-10B/C from PIEXX which is the interface and chip that fit inside the 940 and plugs straight into a serial port on the computer. This works fine and I don't need the outboard box at all.
> The unit sells for $89 from PIEXX, and you can even order online from http://www.piexx.com
> Good luck es 73 de K0OU, Steve in KC
>
> BTW- I don't own stock in PIEXX or anything - just a satisfied customer. OU

I bought a TS-440 which had provisions for computer control but did not
have the two chips needed to do this (an 8251 UART chip and a 4040 CMOS).
The owner's manual showed how and where to install them, and it was a
simple matter to put the chips in.  I built my own interface, which was a
lot cheaper than the IF-232.  Works great with CT and the Kentrol program.

Perhaps not all 940's have these chips installed when you buy them?

73, Zack W9SZ

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com