[CQ-Contest] Follow-up: ARRL DX (CW) Log Checking

VR2BrettGraham vr2bg at harts.org.hk
Wed Aug 30 06:04:32 EDT 2000

N6NT wrote:

  I've now heard from a dozen or so people on the DX side who checked
  their results. ALL say they lost 2 or 3 multipliers per band. Particularly in
  the case of the guys who where single-band, they say they had multiple
  QSOs in their log for every multiplier. Thus it is almost impossible that
  they really busted enough Qs to lose those multipliers.

Uh oh - we don't have a repeat here of the not-quite-ready-for-prime-time
log checking as had happened with the '98 10m contest, do we?

I still haven't seen the '99 results in order to see the conclusion to
that, let alone how the log checking for '99 went based on whatever
happened to my score last year.

Wonder how many others - especially those of us outside NA - have no
idea what's become of our score in the end for want of seeing the results?

It's that participant feedback - based on the '98 10m test at least from my
experience - that helps improve the overall process.  Without that
feedback, we all loose because the opportunity to improve the checking
which ultimately will drive the participants to better accuracy has been
missed.

Hopefully when the rest of us get to see what's happened that it will still
be possible to pursue why & correct anything that needs correcting & to
see that followed through with corrected results.  Otherwise, all the good
intentions & all that effort by all concerned could backfire if the
participant decides to give the next ARRL contest weekend a miss.

That would be a terrible shame.  Remember, it takes two to Q.  A big TU
to Bruce for bringing this up & to everyone behind the scenes who I
know wish to make things better just like we all do.  Meanwhile, I'll hurry up
& wait.  ;^)

73, VR2BrettGraham

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com