[CQ-Contest] Packet Pileups -> Breaking Pileups

K3BU at aol.com K3BU at aol.com
Mon Dec 4 10:24:52 EST 2000

In a message dated 12/4/2000 9:41:24 AM Eastern Standard Time, w5gn at mxg.com
writes:

> Packet spots
>  let me do that in minimum time with minimum impact
>  on other interests. And I get a check-out of my station
>  in each of those pile-ups for spots so  I will do better
>  when I do enter a contest seriously.

Just like going into the ZOO with loaded gun will
"let me do that with minimum impact on other interests..."
and shoot the bunch of animals without having to find them on my own in the
contest jungle.
Sounds ridiculous? Maybe not to some.
I wouldn't get satisfaction from that, actually I would be ashamed!

Again, just like lists and nets and last two spoiled and devalued DXing and
DXCC (reason I couldn't be bothered to chase DX anymore, means nothing to me)
I see a day when packet will spoil contesting, and it looks like it is
already doing it, see OL5Y's wondering.
It would be interesting for log checkers to check the suspect logs of some of
the multiplier leaders to see how long it took and how often, to work the new
multiplier in S&P mode or second radio, after it was spotted on the packet in
their area.
If someone worked about 30 multipliers shortly after they were announced on
the packet, then something is fishy in that log!!!
Just like HG1S was defending their "brilliant" operating skills (of violating
multiple signals), only to be nailed by their own and other's logs. What an
egg in the face!!!

I think it is time to wake up and give it a serious consideration.
I would rather see us preserving the sanity of contesting and doing our own
hunting rather than deteriorating to the ZOO thing. Just stop and think where
are we heading. If one cannot obey and compete by the rules, then take up
shooting animals in the ZOO, more fun and it makes big bang too.

Yuri, K3BU

I like driving my own (big old) car, eating my own food, having my own $ex,
building my own station, chasing my own multipliers and Qs..... 'cause makes
me feel good and achieving something, am I too old fashioned or too weird?

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com