[CQ-Contest] Packet Pileups -> Breaking Pileups

steve nn4t at bellsouth.net
Mon Dec 4 11:28:05 EST 2000

No Yuri, it doesn't make you weird. It doesn't make you right, either.
Packet is just another technology, like others before it, that is impacting
amateur radio. In the case of packet, which no one has to use unless they
wish to, its impact is positive, overall. This is because the causal
operators, looking to boost their DXCC, WAZ, WAS or other totals use packet
to find stations they need to work. The result is more QSOs and higher
scores. It has been suggested here that packet makes one a poor or lazy
operator. I disagree. I believe that all technology, packet included, is
neutral. Whether of not one becomes a good contester, an accomplished DXer
or whatever, depends on how that technology is used. That knowledge comes
from lots of listening as well as the sharing of ideas via journals and
reflectors such as this one. With the internet we can mentor someone half a
world away. Why can't we focus on good operating skills, which, if you
choose, includes the use of packet during a contest effort. Anything beyond
that is a personal choice by the operator and is no one else's business. 73,
Steve, NN4T.From: <K3BU at aol.com>