[CQ-Contest] Packet Pileups -> Breaking Pileups

John Laney k4bai at worldnet.att.net
Mon Dec 4 16:08:20 EST 2000

Some ops can clearly demonstrate that they were not monitoring packet.  K5ZD's
very interesting write up lists a number of very active stations that he did not
work much or at all and they would have been new mults.  For example, he heard me
at 8P9Z only once and therefore I assume worked the 8P mult on only one band.

In the absence of a QSY from band to band with a station who is the only one to
work for a country or zone mult in a contest, a top scoring station who CQs a lot
is likely to miss the mult on a number of bands if he does not have packet.  It
is probably much easier for the S&P guy to work a close in mult country on all
bands.  However, you would think the second radio for the SO2R guys would make up
for a lot of that--obviously it doesn't.   If it is suspected that someone is
cheating by using packet spots and claiming single op unassisted, I suspect that
a careful analysis of the spots put out during the weekend and the QSOs made by
the stations spotted would build up a very strong circumstantial evidence case or
pretty much debunk the claim.  I think such suspicions should be investigated if
they are based upon obversations of a particular station and not just on a
statistical analysis that might be viewed as "sour grapes."  No one should ever
be disqualified or reclassified in the absence of strong evidence, but we should
not shrink from investigating suspicious cases.

The self-spotting violations appear to be more easily proven.  The danger here is
that someone possibly could do this in order to disqualify a rival.  Obviously
the station in question or someone at his request must intend to self-spot.  At
least one of the examples cited in an earlier message on this reflector seemed to
be pretty clear and repeated violations.

73 to all,

John, K4BAI/8P9HT.

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com