[CQ-Contest] Pre-Contest Weather - Any tips on guying it all down ?

Hammond, Rob EU-Pencoed Rob.Hammond at eu.sony.com
Fri Dec 8 07:21:56 EST 2000

Hi to everyone warming up from tomorrows contest. Outlook is pretty bad over
in the UK.
I wonder how many Hams over here will lose antennas this weekend. There's a
massive storm over us at the moment,
80 - 90 MPH winds but should calm a bit by Saturday  PLUS Severe Flooding (
Again ) & it really isn't the conditions for my Planned moutain-top portable
operation for this weekend's contest. However, I will NOT be beaten.
I wonder if anyone would like to share some tips for getting my antennas up
& keeping them there.... So Far here's what's up:I

Yesterday I drove 2 x 7ft 2inch Steel Pole some 3.5ft in the ground some
distance apart on the mountain. The plan is to use Scaffhold Swivel Clamps
to Clamp the antenna in place. I have to unfortunately do it all on my own &
I remember a VHF contest when I had a 40ft mast to put up Single handed It
was rather Heavy & took a lot of effort. Once I've go the thing vertical, I
shouldn't have any problems guying it down but am wondering how to get it
vertical without damaging the poles.
I'm using 35ft of 2" Aluminium pole for the 4 Element Yagi &  25ft of the
same type for a 5/8 Vertical.
Apart from this I have some 30ft 1.5" Aluminium pole , unlimited rope. I
think if I just try to upright the beam without some support for the top,
the pole will bend out of shape. I thought of using a sort of pulley
hammered into the ground  the other side of the pole from which I am pushing
it upright & having the rope from the pulley back to myself & pulling the
rope at the same time as pushing up the pole so I am effectively doing both.

Any Ideas - I'm not loaded with cash coming up to Christmas so they must be
Cheap ideas !!!

I NEED to work this contest - Storm or no Storm !!!!!

Thanks

Rob MW5EPA
Shaken but no Stired !!!!

are addressed.
Sony cannot accept liability for statements made which are clearly
the sender's own and not made on behalf of Sony.
(01)

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com