[CQ-Contest] [CQ-CONTEST] IDing During a CQ

Tony Field field at nucleus.com
Mon Dec 11 20:39:49 EST 2000

> I believe the ICAO phonetic alphabet is the best one to use.  My
understanding
> is the words were chosen to be most readily understood by non-English
speaking
> people.  That certainly applies to ham radio, so phonetics like "radio"
and
> "Zanzibar" should be abandoned in favor of "romeo" and "zulu".

I remember reading that this alphabet was rather hastily put together in the
1940's and further studies have found that, for many European and Asian
languages,  the phonetic choices are rather unfortunate because the are
either difficult to pronounce or difficult to hear.

tony field
field at nucleus.com
ve6yp at rac.ca
http://www.qsl.net/ve6yp