[CQ-Contest] 10 Meter Email

Henderson, Dan N1ND dhenderson at arrl.org
Tue Dec 12 10:04:38 EST 2000

Some of you in the past 24 hours have submitted your 10 Meter entry to
10meter at arrl.org and received back both the receipt that the log has been
received and a message saying that the message was "undeliverable" due to
the mailbox capacity being exceeded.

When your email arrives at the ARRL HQ server with the correct contest
address, it is saved automatically on our server.  Two copies of the email
are then generated.  The first goes to a back-up server in California for
storage and remote access of the original email message.  This allows the
ARRL Contest branch to go back, if necessary, and look at the original email
as we received it.  It is from this back-up that the "Log Received" receipt
is generated and sent back to you.

A second copy is forwarded to an email address set up by the log checking
team.  This allows them to more rapidly access incoming contest entries,
without having to wait for the Contest Branch staff to first save the files
and then forward them on to the log checkers.  Because of the tremendous
volume of email coming in for the 2000 ARRL Ten Meter contest, the capacity
of the email mailbox for those forwarded logs was exceeded, and thus that
server generated back the messages a few of you have received that the email
was undeliverable.

There is no need to panic.  If you received the "Log Received" receipt, with
a receipt number, your entry is here.  When the log checkers have a chance
to deal with the back log of email in their queue, we will resume forwarding
the second emails to them.  There is no need for you to re-send the entry if
you receive the "Log Received" receipt, even if you do later receive an
"undeliverable" message.

Thanks and 73

Dan Henderson, N1ND
ARRL Contest Branch Manager