[CQ-Contest] [CQ-CONTEST] IDing During a CQ

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Wed Dec 13 03:15:47 EST 2000

At 10:16 AM 12/12/00 -0800, Mike Gilmer - N2MG wrote:

>I think a great way to tell if your choice of phonetics is effective is to
look at the UBN report and see how others bust your call.  While I'm a
proponent of the use of the "correct" phonetics, I don't believe blind
adherence to this tenet is intelligent.  Adapting to the situation is a
golden rule in contesting.

Amen to that, certainly  I'd only add that I've observed that "Nancy" seems
to be a lot more effective than any of the "Oh" words as the phonetic for
"N", and that "radio" cuts through a lot better than "Romeo."  In a lot of
cases, I just use my call without phonetics -- using "Zed" instead of "Zee"
helps there.

Some of this goes all the way back to call selection, where guys like K3ZO
get a headstart, though I've noticed that he doesn't skip phonetics much.
It also doesn't hurt at all to have been using the same call for 23 years
as I have, now that so many people are using master call-sign databases.
Even though I'm a little pistol by comparison, it's amazing how many folks
on the other end audibly go through the progression "N4... N4Z... N4ZR?"

A final note -- some calls are inherently problematical on CW, too.  If I
had an H a V or a B in my call anyplace that a number could logically go,
I'd change it.  I know that most of the ones I bust reflect that problem.
In theory, my call should get busted a lot as "NV7R", but so far so good.
Maybe 3 or 4 or 5 dits are harder to hear accurately than just 2.

73, Pete N4ZR

Contesting is ... Extreme Radio

The World Contest Station Database
is back up and running at
http://www.qsl.net/n4zr

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com

From: Michael Tope" <W4EF at dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 21:31:34 -0800
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Cheaters <never|?> prosper?

Hi Dave,

Most of the major contests use computers to cross check log submissions. If a person
did what you described, there log would register an unusually high percentage
of uniques (stations that nobody else worked) when cross checked against the rest
of the logs in the database. This would undoubtedly raise some eyebrows on the contest
committee and invite additional scrutiny of that particular log.

Of course, personal integrity is the preferable route to accurate logging.