[CQ-Contest] Band edges-measured.

George, W2VJN w2vjn at rosenet.net
Sun Dec 17 16:07:34 EST 2000

Here is what really happens with a 1000MP when the tx output is
measured on a counter.

There are two settings in menu item 3-0.  CARRIER and OFFSET.

1.  Setting is CARRIER:

Dial reads 7002.00
Mode is USB CW,  Tx output is on 7002.00
Mode is LSB CW,  Tx output is on 7002.00

This is safe.  With a properly functioning radio that is
calibrated and has keying rise and fall times about 2 or more mS,
I would go within 500 Hz or so of the band edge (being very
safe).

2.  Setting is OFFSET.

Dial reads 7002.00
Mode is USB CW, Tx output is on 7002.00
Mode is LSB CW,  Tx output is on 7000.80  (Pitch control is at 1
O'clock.)

This is not safe if you are in the habit of switching from USB to
LSB when running stations close to the band edge.

NOTE:   With 3-0 set to OFFSET when you are operating in USB and
the pitch control is turned, the LSB frequency changes.  If you
switch to LSB and turn the pitch control, the USB frequency
changes.  You must watch the display each time the mode is
switched.

Other radios may function in a different manner.

George, W2VJN

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com