[CQ-Contest] Does might make right in contesting?

Chris Hurlbut wl7ky at gci.net
Thu Feb 24 21:28:56 EST 2000

I am a relatively new contester, and I have always wondered the same thing.
One thing has always worked for me, and I don't think I have ever lost rate
because of it.

Don't try to take a frequency.

I know there have been many times I could have easily stolen a frequency,
but it wasn't worth it.  Most ops will try and battle for a few minutes, and
by the time you are done fighting, you could have found a clear spot
elsewhere and be running a pileup.
After taking someone's frequency, however, they never forget your call.
Usually they will not work you again.  That can't help out the score!
What's the golden rule?  "Treat others only in ways that you're willing to
be treated in the same exact situation."
Works for me.

I would also like to comment on my observations of some of the 'big guns.'
A lot of guys KNOW they are really really loud, and can break a pileup
easily on a mult.  However...  often I will be running a pileup and get,
say, W9A?.  So I will send W9A 5NN 1
Then nothing... so I send agn, W9A 5NN 1
Wait for 2 nanoseconds and he comes back, then usually MORE THAN ONE so
called 'big gun' will call on top of him, knowing that I can hear them fine.
I stick with it and work the W9Awhatever, then go back to the pile.
This slows the rate down, I know, but I called W9Asomething, not everyone
else.  So please, take a step back, and look at your 'radio etiquette.'  It
makes contesting a lot more pleasant when you follow that one simple rule.
-Chris KL9A  (ex WL7KY)
kl9a at qsl.net
http://www.qsl.net/kl9a/

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com