[CQ-Contest] Monitor Woes - The Answers

TOMK5RC at aol.com TOMK5RC at aol.com
Tue Jan 18 10:37:53 EST 2000

Wow! What a response. Thanks to all who answered my query.

The suggestions ranged from "enjoy the light show" to "quit using NA" to "you
gotta move the monitor."

Here are the technical answers:
* The problem is pervasive. Some of you have interference from clocks and fan
motors.
* Mu metal is a special high-nickel alloy of steel made by the Coballoy
Company.  It is used in applications like CRT shields for radar scopes to
keep stray EMI from deflecting the image. It is very expensive and it does
not work in all applications. Too expensive to experiment.
* Spray-on metal products do not help.
* Some reported success with aluminum and copper foil tape.
* The consensus is that mild steel, iron and sheet steel for duct work are
the most likely candidates. The duct work is nickel plated so it makes sense
as an inexpensive experiment. I still may wind up rearranging the station,
however. Stay tuned........

Tom, K5RC
Virginia City  NV
(Problems are exaggerated at 6,500' in the mountains!)

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com