[CQ-Contest] Accounting For Feedline Loss - Legal?

Nat Heatwole heatwole at clark.net
Sun Jan 30 21:15:53 EST 2000

Hello. Let's take the following situation:

-Contester X owns an Alpha 91B amp that will produce 2500w output on CW.
-Contester X's feed line to his antenna is 250' long.
-Contester X knows that he is losing 25% of his power in his feed line.

So, would it be legal for Contester X (under current FCC rules for the
amateur service) to do the following:

-Run his Alpha 91B at 2000w on CW to account for the feed line loss.
Allowing the input to his antenna to be 1500w, and 500w to be consumed by
his feed line.

Now, would this be legal for a contester to do, or is it specifically
prohibited? Is an operator only allowed to run 1500w at the control point,
or as the input to the antenna, in other words? And in case your
wondering, I'm not asking this questions for me, nor do I own an Alpha 91B
or like amp. Nor am I asking this question for any contester(s) that I
happen to know, and Contester X is not meant to refer to a real person.
Thanks a lot for reading and let me know what you think.

73's de Nat,
WZ3AR (Ex-KB3CBW)

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com