[CQ-Contest] Bad operating practices - a real-life example

Robert Shohet kq2m at mags.net
Thu Jul 20 11:49:20 EDT 2000

On MANY occasions I have heard very well known SOABHP "Unassisted"
stations use this "holding the frequency" strategy to repeatedly
trade-off occupying the band edge on 15 and 20 SSB.  A common example is
when the SO needs the band edge on Band #1, he asks the Multi or less
serious SO for the freq., the Multi or less serious SO leaves and comes
back later.  The serious SO then runs until it is advantageous to qsy,
gives the freq. back to the Multi or other club member, and then does
the same thing on the Band #2 with another club member or the same M/M.
When it is time to come back to the band edge on Band #1 the process is
repeated with the serious SO getting back the frequency he originally
"borrowed".  I have heard this trading occur among club members for an
ENTIRE WEEKEND on the same freq./band edge.  These particular
"Unassisted" SO stations use the same strategy each year in the same
contests, in conjunction with other club members (SO as well as MM) to
retain their advantage.  Some of these operators have set US records in
these contests, no doubt aided by this "advantage".  To make matters
worse, if you have the temerity to "contest" this at the time it is
occurring, you have two or three guys giving you grief all at once and
the loud Multi temporarily takes back the freq. to reestablish the "run"
before passing it again to the SO.

You could say that this is sour grapes on my part, but I personally
believe that it reclassifies ALL of them as M/M and moreover represents
a real ethical breach of SO status.  It is interesting to note that
these SO "Unassisted" stations have never claimed M/S or SO Assisted
status in any contest where they have used this operating practice.

I will spare them them any public embarassment by not mentioning
callsigns.  They know who they are.  Hopefully they will reflect on this
inappropriate practice and stop using it or instead claim a Multi
category rather than SO Unassisted.

73

Bob KQ2M

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com